Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My Geocaching Quest

Since my travels have been taking me all over the U.S., I decided to try to find a geocache in every state. (If you don’t know what geocaching is, read about it at geocaching.com). When I get to a new state, I try to have the coordinates for a geocache close to my hotel. Sometimes, it’s really close to the hotel (such as a geocache I found on Time’s Square in New York City -- see picture below). Other times, I have to take quite the hike (such as in Dallas walking 3.5 miles in muggy heat).


The thing I like most about geocaching is that it usually leads to fun parks and interesting landmarks that only locals usually know about. For example, I found this running trail in New Jersey. As I was jogging back to the car, I literally almost ran into a deer on the trail. I’m not sure who was spooked more, me or the deer.

It’s been fun adding a geocache or two to each of my trips. It gives me a bit of exercise, too. I’ve been making decent progress on hitting the list of states. I’m tracking it on a map in my geocaching.com profile (I copied the most recent map below). It’s a pretty long process to get all 50 states, but it’s been taking me to fun little places. This month, I added Massachusetts and Texas to my list of states. That brings me up to 15 states.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy cow, you're a traveling maniac! Don't you find an item or something? (looks like I need to read up on it) Where's the most interesting place you've found something? and what was it? Happy hunting!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you need to visit us to get one more state! Then we can go to Yellowstone and get another!