Thursday, August 14, 2008

Four Day Work Week For Utah State Workers

I just came across an interesting article that in Utah, they are moving to a four day work week for State employees. The rationale for this (among others) is that the State can turn off the power in buildings, which will in turn save on energy expenses. Personally, I think that it is a fantastic idea. I'd be willing to work 10 hours a day to get an extra day for the weekend. I sometimes feel like I'm working ten hours a day anyway.

And if not ten hours a day, then why not have a day or two a week where we can telecommute? My firm just gave out Sprint wireless cards to employees that travel a lot (you might be able to guess why I got one...). Now, I can virtually work from anywhere that I can get cell phone reception. And, not only does technology make it easier to work remotely, it also follows the new "green initiatives" that corporate America is starting to foster. Imagine how much less gas you would use if you only drove to work four times a week instead of five. Think how much less traffic there would be on the roads, especially if companies staggered the four days that their employees worked. Seems like a pretty good way of saving gas and lowering emissions. Or, I guess we could always just force every American to check the pressure in his/her tires...

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Scott worked 4-10s at Boeing. It was heaven - he worked really, really hard during the week & got time off for Boy Scouts during the weekend.

Jeff said...

now that you have your blog on your face book, should I comment here or there? I'm so confused.