Sunday, October 05, 2008

Our Great Adventure Driving to NYC

The car ride getting from Baltimore to New York City was interesting. We thought we were pretty clever to use my computer as a navigation system (my Sprint aircard is a wonderful invention). However, we still managed to miss a few turns. This was very convenient, though, and some might say intentional. :) As posted earlier in My Geocaching Quest, I'm trying to find geocaches in all fifty states. Our route from Baltimore would go through Delaware (where I hadn't found a geocache yet) but just miss Pennsylvania (where I hadn't gotten a geocache, because I was just getting over a cold during my first and only trip to Pennsylvania). After finding a geocache in Delaware, I jokingly suggested that we should make a detour and go through Philadelphia. As we got back onto the highway, there was a bit of confusion with the signs and next thing I know, we missed our exit. In looking at the map, we could still get to NYC going this way, which also happened to take us through Philadelphia. Very convenient! :) We ended up getting a geocache right near the Philadelphia Phillies stadium. That's state number 17!

Our next stop would be Manhattan. Celeste's parents were going to drop us off and then continue on to Long Island. It seemed pretty straight forward in looking at the map -- take the Lincoln tunnel, across on 34th Street (drop us off at Penn Station), and then continue out on Queens Midtown Tunnel. But actually driving through Manhattan is a different story. For some reason, a cop wouldn't let us turn onto 34th, so we got a street level view of Manhattan during rush hour (I say rush hour, which I think is ALL the time for Manhattan). So what we thought would take only ten minutes ended up taking about an hour. But it worked out in the end. Thank you so much Doug and Sandra for your patience in driving us to Manhattan. For future reference, I will never suggest driving in Manhattan again, unless it is by taxi.

No comments: